This is primarily a travel blog in which I write about traveling in our motorhome. Our travels have

Nacogdoches, TX, United States
I began this blog as a vehicle for reporting on a 47-day trip made by my wife and me in our motorhome down to the Yucatan Peninsula and back. I continued writing about our post-Yucatan travels and gradually began including non-travel related topics. I often rant about things that piss me off, such as gun violence, fracking, healthcare, education, and anything else that pushes my button. I have a photography gallery on my Smugmug site (http://rbmartiniv.smugmug.com).

Saturday, January 30, 2016

Don't Mess With Me When I'm Hungry!

I’m in Houston at the Double Tree by Hilton at Greenway Plaza for a weekend photography workshop. Classes began at 8:00 AM and we didn’t break for lunch until 1:00 PM, but we had until 2:30 before class resumed. Plenty of time to grab a bite and relax. Only one of the two hotel restaurants was open, but I beat the crowd there and my food and drink order was taken immediately.

I opened the book that I have been reading on my iPhone’s Kindle app and began reading. My drink order arrived very fast and I sipped on the Coke as I read, not paying much attention to what was going on around me. After a while I looked up and realized the restaurant was almost full. I read some more and when I looked up again, noticed that most people around me were eating. I began watching for my waiter so I could ask him to check on my order but I didn't see him. Finally, at 2:05, after I had been in the restaurant for an hour, I got up and walked over to a door through which I had seen the wait staff using. A sign on the door read, “Kitchen Personnel Only” so I pushed it open and walked into the kitchen. I glanced around, but didn’t see my waiter here, either. No one asked if they could help me so I left the kitchen, gathered my belongings from the table, and walked out of the restaurant. I would go to the Starbuck’s in the hotel lobby and grab a muffin and coffee before returning to the class room at 2:30. Starbuck’s sliding glass doors were closed but I pushed them open and walked in. “We’re closed!” someone shouted.

I looked at my watch, although I knew perfectly well what time it was, and said, “It’s only 2 o’clock!” Then I noticed the sign on the door. On weekends they closed at 2:00 PM. I couldn’t believe it. I’m normally a very easy going person. I hate confrontation and I almost never complain to anyone about anything. However, I was now angry, trembling, and hungry! I walked over to the hotel desk clerk and bravely and boldly announced, “I have a complaint!”

I told her I was not one to complain, that I was normally a very easy going person, however, I was very upset with the service in their restaurant. She asked what was wrong with it and I told her that I was one of the first in the restaurant for lunch, other people were served ahead of me, and I didn’t see my waiter for an hour so I got up and left. I told her I went to Starbuck’s only to learn they closed at 2:00 PM and I thought that was absolutely insane! The front desk manager apparently overheard my comments and came over to see if he could help. I told him that the service in his restaurant was terrible and I also found it hard to believe that Starbuck’s would close at 2 o’clock.” He asked if he could help and I said something to the effect, “Not unless you have something to eat!” 

There was a small niche next to the front desk where one could purchase snacks. He led me over to it and asked me to please take anything I wanted. I was somewhat surprised, not expecting anything like this, but I picked up a Granola bar and a Twix. Why those two, I don’t know. I felt that I had to take something, but I didn’t want to appear greedy. He asked if I liked wine, to which I applied in the affirmative, wondering if he was about to offer me a glass, which he did not. He asked for my room number and told me not to worry, he would make it right. I thanked him and left for the class room with my two candy bars.

When our class was out at 6:00 PM I headed back to the room, tired and hungry. I walked into the room and there was my wife, drinking wine and enjoying a platter of cheese, crackers, and strawberries! She was kind enough to share with me and I must admit that it was quite good. Of course, by this time, a day old PB&J would have been good. A hand written note of apology had accompanied the gift. It was signed by both the Front Desk Manager and the Food and Beverages Manager. I have to say that I appreciated their efforts to appease me.

After enjoying the wine and food, I decided to take a hot soak in the tub. We only have showers at home and it has been a long time since I was able to enjoy a good hot tub soak. However, I soon discovered that the hotel tub was smaller than any tub I have ever soaked in before! Most tubs in which I have soaked were large enough for the water to cover my body almost entirely once I laid down in it. This tub was so small that it covered only a very small portion of my stomach! Now I have something else to complain about. Maybe I’ll get another free bottle of wine and something good to eat!

2 comments :

Robert & Carol Ann Martin said...

You should be in hotel management, Bill.

cantinero 46 said...

Texas,land of confusion and incompetence,but they have jobs! Oh,for a ged education.