This is primarily a travel blog in which I write about traveling in our motorhome. Our travels have

Nacogdoches, TX, United States
I began this blog as a vehicle for reporting on a 47-day trip made by my wife and me in our motorhome down to the Yucatan Peninsula and back. I continued writing about our post-Yucatan travels and gradually began including non-travel related topics. I often rant about things that piss me off, such as gun violence, fracking, healthcare, education, and anything else that pushes my button. I have a photography gallery on my Smugmug site (http://rbmartiniv.smugmug.com).

Friday, February 3, 2012

Quick post at Xel Ha

Feb 3
Xel Ha Park

I didn't expect free wifi here. I am on my iPad so not writing much. I have a couple of posts written and ready to post but they are back at Paamul RV Park. I purchased a Banda ancha (USP plug-in cellular modem stick) yesterday in Playa del Carmen. Richard and Helen were good enough to give us a ride (still know nothing of our car). Telcel has a special promotion for the device. $399 pesos (about $28 US) for a no contract deal. It includes one month of Internet service but I have not yet been able to get it to work. I can't read the Spanish instructions and think I may have to call a certain phone number to activate it. Anyone out there know? Any help appreciated.

Time for another beer. Later.

2 comments :

John's Florida Blog said...

Take your computer & USB stick to Jonathon at the Telcel store by the Soriana mall. He will get it to work. When you install the software which starts when stick is inserted you should say english.
When stick is inserted software starts. You will see a green symbol in middle of bottom row. Number of bars on bottom left and UMTS or HSDPA between the two. That's the network. You then hit center button that says connect, to turn off hit it it will say disconnect.
keelhauler@yahoo.com is my e-mail.
Has the Sim card been installed

Croft said...

The best thing to do is to return to the Telcel office and have them do it for you. If that is not possible you can do it yourself using the message window in the Telcel software that installs when you insert your stick in the computer. My text message area is indicated by a envelope icon.

You have to know whether you bought 1, 2 or 3 GB of service. Here are the instructions:

The Banda Ancha has a phone number that is in the Sim card. After you pay to that number you will instantly get a text message that you can read on the Telcel software on your computer. Then, again using that software you send message bajo30 to 5050. for 1 GB. send medio30 for 2 gb or alto30 for 3GB The cost for each is 300, 400 or 500 pesos respectivly. The sale gave you double that amount. As soon as you send that message you will get a message that tells what the expiration date is and how many GB you have. I do not have a phone, all is accomplished with the Telcel Banda Ancha software.

My email is croft.randle (at) gmail.com if you need more help.