This is primarily a travel blog in which I write about traveling in our motorhome. Our travels have

Nacogdoches, TX, United States
I began this blog as a vehicle for reporting on a 47-day trip made by my wife and me in our motorhome down to the Yucatan Peninsula and back. I continued writing about our post-Yucatan travels and gradually began including non-travel related topics. I often rant about things that piss me off, such as gun violence, fracking, healthcare, education, and anything else that pushes my button. I have a photography gallery on my Smugmug site (http://rbmartiniv.smugmug.com).

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Home At Last!

Nacogdoches, TX
March 13, 2012

This was a really good day to get home.  Today is my birthday and what better present than to arrive home safe and sound after two exciting, fun, pleasant, tedious, great, stressful, frustrating, beautiful, and frightening months in Mexico.  We left Harlingen yesterday a little before noon.  I drove the motorhome and Carol Ann followed me in the car.  We stopped about 5:00 PM yesterday afternoon at a small, no-frills, $20 a night, RV park in Richmond, TX rather than drive through Houston during the afternoon rush hour.  Richmond is about 30 miles SW of Houston on US 59.  We left the park this morning around 11:00 AM (we weren't in any hurry) and arrived home about 3:30 PM.  We unloaded the fridge and brought in our cameras and computers before parking ourselves in our well-worn recliners.  The rest of the stuff can wait until tomorrow.

I need to run over to my daughter's house and pick up my dog, Mia (a chihuahua-dachshund mix) once I post this.  I hope she remembers who I am!  I felt bad about not taking her to Mexico with us but it would have been hard on both of us and she loves our friend who house sat for us.  We only took two of our seven cats with us on the trip.  They were feral kittens when we rescued them about 5 Halloweens ago and they never have been social with people other then me and Carol Ann.  Because they were "Halloween kittens" we named the orange one Pumpkin and his sister, the black one, Goblin.  Whenever anyone on the caravan came anywhere near the door of our motorhome they would run and hide.  I'm sure that some of those on the trip with us never knew we had any cats with us.  I do know that only a couple of people ever caught a glimpse of them.

It does feel good to be home.  I'm not sure when or where our next trip will be, but I'll be sure to let everyone know.  Hopefully, it will be someplace interesting and worthy of a blog post.

Happy trails!

Robert

2 comments :

Contessa said...

Welcome home!

Happy Birthday!

You have had the trip of a lifetime. I think you have used up all problems Mexico and should be free of future stress or problems. Next time just come on down to a beach area and relax for a bit before going about visiting so many places. Caravans are tough.

Robert said...

If I ever do go back down to a beach I will consider flying!!!
Thanks for following.