This is primarily a travel blog in which I write about traveling in our motorhome. Our travels have

Nacogdoches, TX, United States
I began this blog as a vehicle for reporting on a 47-day trip made by my wife and me in our motorhome down to the Yucatan Peninsula and back. I continued writing about our post-Yucatan travels and gradually began including non-travel related topics. I often rant about things that piss me off, such as gun violence, fracking, healthcare, education, and anything else that pushes my button. I have a photography gallery on my Smugmug site (http://rbmartiniv.smugmug.com).

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Gettysburg

It was about a 5-hour drive to Gettysburg taking the 238-mile “scenic route”.  Considering the stop signs, traffic signals, and road construction, not to mention the 3 wrong turns, it was pretty good time.  At one point we were within 30 miles of Washington, DC.  I wouldn’t have minded detouring by there but it was not in the cards for this trip.   The last time I was in DC was about 25 years ago when I made my pilgrimage to the Vietnam Memorial.

We will be in Gettysburg at the Drummer Boy Camping and RV Resort for 5 nights.  We’ll need a couple of days at least for the battlefield tour and museums, plus a day for Antietam and possible Harper’s Ferry.  I also ordered a replacement rear-view camera monitor to be shipped 2nd day air so I will have time to install it before we leave for our next destination, which remains a big unknown at the moment.  Please let me know if there is some “don’t miss” place between Gettysburg, PA and Bar Harbor, ME (as long as it is NOT New York City!)

The Drummer Boy RV park is really big and the campsites are not very close together.  When I registered at the park’s office I was told our campsite was about a mile from the office!  But, there are so many trees it feels like we are camped in deep woods. 

No comments :