This is primarily a travel blog in which I write about traveling in our motorhome. Our travels have

Nacogdoches, TX, United States
I began this blog as a vehicle for reporting on a 47-day trip made by my wife and me in our motorhome down to the Yucatan Peninsula and back. I continued writing about our post-Yucatan travels and gradually began including non-travel related topics. I often rant about things that piss me off, such as gun violence, fracking, healthcare, education, and anything else that pushes my button. I have a photography gallery on my Smugmug site (http://rbmartiniv.smugmug.com).

Sunday, May 26, 2013

The Peaceful Mountains

Today was laid back.  After a lazy morning we decided to go for a drive.  The Blue Ridge Parkway is only 50 miles from the RV park and we decided that a ride in the Blue Ridge Mountains would be therapeutic.  The speed limit was only 45 mph, there was very little traffic, and we rode along with the windows down (wishing I was in a convertible).  It was sunny and a pleasant 72 degrees.   We only drove for about 35 miles on the Parkway but we stopped a lot for the scenery and got back to the motorhome a little before 5 PM to find our sewer connection backed up and sewer water flowing across our campsite.  I don't think we were very popular with the neighbors! I had to get my hands dirty but managed to stop the flow.  I will spare you the specifics.  We HAD planned to cook outside on the grill tonight. Oh well, the end to a perfect day.

Tomorrow we will do some housekeeping and reorganize our storage bays.  On Tuesday we will drive to Gettysburg, PA and spend 5 days there.  We intend to spend some time touring the Gettysburg and Antietam battlefields.  Gettysburg was the beginning of the end for the Confederacy and Antietam was the single bloodiest day in American history.

No comments :