This is primarily a travel blog in which I write about traveling in our motorhome. Our travels have

Nacogdoches, TX, United States
I began this blog as a vehicle for reporting on a 47-day trip made by my wife and me in our motorhome down to the Yucatan Peninsula and back. I continued writing about our post-Yucatan travels and gradually began including non-travel related topics. I often rant about things that piss me off, such as gun violence, fracking, healthcare, education, and anything else that pushes my button. I have a photography gallery on my Smugmug site (http://rbmartiniv.smugmug.com).

Sunday, August 25, 2013

The Road Goes on to Crocket

Robert Earl Keen, Jr. is a Texas singer-songwriter and entertainer.  He got his start in 1984 and has recorded 18 albums.   His songs have been covered by artists such as George Strait, Joe Ely, Lyle Lovett, The Highwaymen, Nanci Griffith, and the Dixie Chicks.  Although a native of Houston, TX, Robert Earl now lives in the central Texas Hill Country and has long been a part of the Austin Music Scene.  He was inducted into the Texas Heritage Songwriters Hall of Fame in 2012.

Robert Earl is a graduate of Texas A&M University in College Station, where he earned a BA in English in 1980.  During his college years he became good friends with fellow Aggie Lyle Lovett.  The two of them spent many hours jamming together on the front porch of the house that Keen rented in College Station and together, they wrote “The Front Porch Song.”  After graduation he moved to Austin and began performing at various live music venues in the area.  He tried Nashville but his music wasn’t mainstream enough so he went back to Texas and stayed true to his music.

One of his songs, “The Road Goes on Forever and the Party Never Ends”, struck a chord with me early on.   When I started my blog a couple of years ago it just seemed a natural for the title of the blog.  Robert Earl wrote it 20 years ago and it has become his most popular song.  He plays it at the end of every show.


I’m finally going to see and hear Robert Earl Keen, Jr. in person.  On Friday, August 30, Carol Ann and I are going to Crocket, TX (about an hour’s drive) to see him in concert.  Can't wait.

No comments :