This is primarily a travel blog in which I write about traveling in our motorhome. Our travels have

Nacogdoches, TX, United States
I began this blog as a vehicle for reporting on a 47-day trip made by my wife and me in our motorhome down to the Yucatan Peninsula and back. I continued writing about our post-Yucatan travels and gradually began including non-travel related topics. I often rant about things that piss me off, such as gun violence, fracking, healthcare, education, and anything else that pushes my button. I have a photography gallery on my Smugmug site (http://rbmartiniv.smugmug.com).

Monday, August 5, 2013

Tonight New Hampshire, Tomorrow Ben & Jerry's

It rained all night and into the morning.   We were both tired and overslept this morning.  I looked at my watch and saw it was 9:30AM so I shook Carol Ann and jumped up before she could tell me it was only 8:30AM.  I had forgotten to set my watch back one hour when we changed time zones.  Still, it was 10:30AM before we got on the road and not really knowing exactly where we were going.  We headed south on I-95 then jumped over to US 2 West a few miles below Bangor and headed towards Vermont. 

After 48 days in Canada it took a while to change mental gears.  I would see something that was common for the US but normally wouldn’t be seen in Canada and start to blurt out, “Hey, there’s a ________!” before realizing that I was not in Canada.  We were also excited about the change in fuel prices, which were over $5 per gallon in Canada and under $4 per gallon in the US.  Carol Ann got excited when she bought a gallon of milk in a convenience store for $3.69 while I was fueling the RV.  It was about $9 a gallon in Canada.  The Maritime Provinces were something to see and we are glad that we had the opportunity to visit them.  However, its good to be back to US prices.

Shortly before reaching New Hampshire the terrain began to change as we neared the White Mountains.  We crossed into New Hampshire and stopped around 4:30PM at Timberland Campground in Shelburne, NH.  We did not have reservations (remember, we didn’t really know where we were going) and were lucky to get a campsite.  We got their last vacant site.

After getting settled I grabbed my camera and headed for the “River Walk” along the Androscoggin River.  It was at least a quarter of a mile down to the river and then I walked along the river for a little ways and took some photos before heading back to the RV.  As I was huffing and puffing up an especially steep portion of the trail I heard footsteps behind me.  It startled me because I didn’t think anyone was behind me.  I turned to look just as a guy RAN past me in running shorts and shirt!  That really made me feel old and out of shape.

Back at the RV I was getting ready to take a look at the photos I had taken when I realized that I had lost the camera’s lens hood somewhere between the river and the RV.  I turned around and retraced all of those tiring my steps to the river and back with no luck.  I’m sure I will be sore tomorrow.  Before we leave in the morning I’ll check at the office to see if someone found the lens hood and turned it in.  I’ll keep my fingers crossed.


Tomorrow we will continue across New Hampshire’s White Mountains and into Vermont’s Green Mountains (remember Ethan Allen and the Green Mountain Boys in the American Revolution?).  One of our destinations will be the hometown and factory of Ben & Jerry’s ice cream to see how it compares to that of Cows in Canada.

No comments :