This is primarily a travel blog in which I write about traveling in our motorhome. Our travels have

Nacogdoches, TX, United States
I began this blog as a vehicle for reporting on a 47-day trip made by my wife and me in our motorhome down to the Yucatan Peninsula and back. I continued writing about our post-Yucatan travels and gradually began including non-travel related topics. I often rant about things that piss me off, such as gun violence, fracking, healthcare, education, and anything else that pushes my button. I have a photography gallery on my Smugmug site (http://rbmartiniv.smugmug.com).

Friday, August 17, 2012

D-Day is Tomorrow

Tomorrow is D-Day, or Departure Day, for our 72 day motorhome trip throughout the southwestern USA.  Are we ready?  Of course not!  We still have a list to get through so we will do what we can this evening after the temperature drops into the 80's and we will get up early in the morning and complete our preparations.  Our goal for departure time is 10:00 AM.  If we make it great, if not it's no big deal.

We will spend tomorrow night in Wichita Falls, which is 303 miles and about 6 hours of driving time.  As long as we make it by dark I'm happy.  Our second day (Sunday) will be 334 miles to Tucumcari, NM, so maybe 7 hours max.  Over 600 miles in 2 days and we will just barely be out of Texas (would be a lot further if we weren't driving through the Panhandle).  On Monday should be relatively easy Tucumcari is only 168 miles to Santa Fe.

We will have Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday to tour the Santa Fe area.  One place on our "must see" list is Bandelier National Monument where evidence of human habitation goes back 11,000 years.  I'm not sure what we will find there because of recent fires and the resulting flooding.  According to the National Parks website the short trails to the main archeological sites are open, plus there are shuttle buses that go to other parts of the park.

On Friday, Saturday, and Sunday I will be attending a "Hill Country Photo Workshop" led by Bob Pearson and his wife, Cynthia Hunter, both professional photographers.  There will only be 9 students, which should translate into a lot of one-on-one instruction.  I attended this workshop last year and it was excellent (I've placed a few of them on the page named "Santa Fe Preview."  I'm expecting this year's workshop to be even better.  Saturday will have us treking out to Kasha-Katuwe Tent Rocks National Monument to photograph hoodoos and a slot canyon.  On Sunday we will spend some time on Santa Fe's Canyon Road where there are over 100 art galleries in a one-mile stretch.

Check back often to keep up with us and to view the photos that I will post. 

No comments :