This is primarily a travel blog in which I write about traveling in our motorhome. Our travels have

Nacogdoches, TX, United States
I began this blog as a vehicle for reporting on a 47-day trip made by my wife and me in our motorhome down to the Yucatan Peninsula and back. I continued writing about our post-Yucatan travels and gradually began including non-travel related topics. I often rant about things that piss me off, such as gun violence, fracking, healthcare, education, and anything else that pushes my button. I have a photography gallery on my Smugmug site (http://rbmartiniv.smugmug.com).

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Deja Vu All Over Again?

Shades of Mexico!  It seems to be starting already.  The Mexican Gremlins and their bad luck may be back!  We left Nacogdoches at 10:51 AM, drove 330 miles, and arrived at the Wichita Falls RV Park a little before 5 PM.  We were slowed down a bit by on and off heavy rain and wind for the last 100 miles.  The rain stopped by the time we checked into the RV park but it is threatening again.  We still made pretty good time.  We averaged 55 mph including a stop at an I-20 rest area for a quick lunch.  Bad news is that our miles per gallon was a disappointing 6.9 mpg.  The fact that our new toad, a Chevy Traverse, is heavier than our previous toad, the Saturn Vue, may have something to do with it.

Now, this is were the Mexican gremlins may be returning with their curse of bad luck.  I had the motorhome's tires checked out at a local tire service center a couple of weeks ago because the two rear duals were slowly leaking air.  I bought almost $3,000 worth of tires from them in May and didn't think they should be leaking.  The tire folks said that the passenger-side Crossfire (a dual tire equalization system) was leaking so they removed it.  The driver-side system was okay, they said.  When I checked the air a little while ago I found that the driver-side duals were NOT okay.  Both tires were very low, which probably means that the Crossfire system on that side is indeed leaking.  In the morning I will have to try and remove it.  If I am unable to do so, I will call my emergency road service (Good Sam) and let them find someone on Sunday morning to come out to the park and remove it for me.  Luckily I have a compressor in one of the storage bays.  We'll just have to wait and see what the morning brings!  Right now I am going to crawl into bed and read myself to sleep.


No comments :