This is primarily a travel blog in which I write about traveling in our motorhome. Our travels have

Nacogdoches, TX, United States
I began this blog as a vehicle for reporting on a 47-day trip made by my wife and me in our motorhome down to the Yucatan Peninsula and back. I continued writing about our post-Yucatan travels and gradually began including non-travel related topics. I often rant about things that piss me off, such as gun violence, fracking, healthcare, education, and anything else that pushes my button. I have a photography gallery on my Smugmug site (http://rbmartiniv.smugmug.com).

Monday, June 10, 2013

Uncharted Territory

It is our 34th day on the road and we are now 2,300 miles from home. We have climbed steadily all afternoon and are now at the dizzying altitude of 2,000 feet above sea level (which sea I am not certain).  The temperature has fallen into the mid-60s and the afternoon sun is low in the sky (if it were visible through  the overcast).  It will probably be much colder tonight, possibly the ear and nose numbing 40s. I just hope we don't have to worry about frostbite. We are in New Hampshire's White Mountains parked next to Echo lake in the Cannon Mountain RV park, which is located in the Franconia Notch State Park. Our food and water is almost gone and the cats are almost out of liter. We have had no TV since he antenna was knocked from the top of our RV in Connecticut. I'm not sure how much longer we can hold on. Rain is forecast for tomorrow but I may have to mount an expedition to locate a Walmart in order to restock our supplies.

I feel as if we have gone where no civilized man has gone before, yet there are paved roads and signs. There just don't seem to be many people. We did spot a small group of what we assumed were members of a local tribe, as they spoke in an unknown tongue and paid us no attention, even though we attempted to greet them as friends. Later we learned that they were not natives of this land after all.  In the parking lot we discovered that their vehicle had New York license plates. 

It is very quiet and green in this strangely beautiful land.  There is much water here but it is too cold to support human life for more than 15 seconds. This RV park also has an odd rule asking that we refrain from inviting bears, ravens, or other animals to our campsite. Why would I wish to invite a bear to my campsite?  For such a rule to be necessary means that someone has extended such an invitation at least once. I wonder if they included a request to RSVP. 

I apologize for any typos. The Internet is not available at this location so I wrote this entire post on my iPhone.

No comments :