This is primarily a travel blog in which I write about traveling in our motorhome. Our travels have

Nacogdoches, TX, United States
I began this blog as a vehicle for reporting on a 47-day trip made by my wife and me in our motorhome down to the Yucatan Peninsula and back. I continued writing about our post-Yucatan travels and gradually began including non-travel related topics. I often rant about things that piss me off, such as gun violence, fracking, healthcare, education, and anything else that pushes my button. I have a photography gallery on my Smugmug site (http://rbmartiniv.smugmug.com).

Sunday, June 16, 2013

We Made it to the Jump-Off Point

It was only about 45 miles from Bangor to the Narrows Too RV Park in Trenton, ME (just across the bay from Bar Harbor.  Nacogdoches, TX is about 2,500 miles in our rear view mirror.  The Canadian portion of the trip will cover a little over 2,800 miles, so by the time we get back home the trip will have been almost 8,000 total miles.  That is the equivalent of driving from Virginia Beach, VA to San Jose, CA, back to Virginia Beach, and then 2/3 of the way back to San Jose.  If you include the miles we will drive in the car for side trips and tours we could complete two round-trips across the USA. Suddenly, I'm tired.

After arriving at the RV Park we were set up and had lunch by about 1:30 PM.  Two couples (Harvey & Barb and Rich & Helen) from our Yucatan RV tour are here for the Maritimes tour and we visited with them for a bit.  About 3:30PM we drove out to Acadia National Park and drove the Loop Road for about 2 hours before returning to the RV park.  Rich and Helen then went with us for dinner at Pizza Hut.

I have noticed that there are a lot of camps in New England.  I’m talking about places to send your kids for the summer, not fishing or deer camps.  I kept seeing signs for Camp Wood and began to wonder if the signs I was seeing were all for the same Camp Wood or if perhaps there were several in New England.  Then today I saw a sign for Campfire Wood and felt really stupid.

We will be here until Thursday when we leave for Canada.  I will be posting our itinerary before then.

No comments :